The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Forward, Not Back

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1
The Living Bible



In keeping with my commitment to honesty, I have to admit I'd like to quit this blog.

As much as I say my "tagline" is Writing Honestly, this blog is pushing my panic button a bit.
I'm feeling a bit overexposed, even as I invite a few friends to peek in on my newest writing venture.

Remember the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy finally gets to meet the Wizard? He looks pretty impressive, until the curtain gets pulled back. Lo and behold--there's a pretty ordinary guy behind that curtain. He tries to hide himself again and says, "Ignore the man behind the curtain!" All the while, he keeps pulling levers and pressing buttons, trying to keep up the pretense that he is the all-powerful Wizard of Oz.

I kind of feel like I pulled back my own curtain--and now I want to say, "Ignore that woman behind that curtain," and go back to pretending I'm someone I'm not--but who I'd really like you to think I am.

We Accidental Pharisees are good at putting on a show.

But in doing so, we--I hindered relationships with both other people and with God.

It's not to say I didn't have real friends. I just didn't have completely honest friendships. I don't know about those other people, but I know I wasn't being competely honest about who I was.

And, while they may have been fooled by what I was doing behind the curtain, I know God wasn't.

But, being a God of grace, He didn't rip back the curtain and condemn me. He's waited all this time for me to be willing to get real with Him.

It's just going to take a while to be comfortable with this.

4 Comments:

  • Oh, Beth, this is so real and so good. I am bouncing with anticipation and joy for the ways God will use your voice and this blog.

    Bravo, my brave friend. Love the Wizard of Oz visual...You know me and the lion...

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At January 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

  • I know it's hard to feel vulnerable by writing about this, but don't quit. It's honest. It's good. :-)

    By Blogger elizabeth, At January 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

  • Okay--I'll stick with the "Honesty is the best policy" rule.

    Breathe in
    Breathe out
    Breathe in
    Breathe out

    By Blogger Beth K. Vogt, At January 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

  • Beth I don't want you to grow weary of me commenting but as I read each post I am just so proud of you! I KNOW how hard this is, I KNOW the cost, the fear, the doubts...

    You are God's Beloved Daughter and He Delights in YOU...He is SO proud of you!!

    By Blogger sharon brobst, At June 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home