The Accidental Pharisee

Monday, January 7, 2008

Here's Looking at You

Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.
Matthew 20:34

The question was: When you look at people, what do you see?
I didn't like my answer.

I've trained my eyes to see flaws--mine and others.

Ouch. That hurts.

This Accidental Pharisee's eyes tend to judge others because I need to know how I'm doing in comparison to everyone else. Am I doing okay? Am I making the grade--that imaginary, oh-so-unneccessary grade?

Don't get me wrong. I also see other people's positive characteristics too--and I let people know what I like about them. I'm not all bad.

The person I judge the most harshly?

Me.

Jesus saw people with eyes of compassion. Kindness. Mercy. Try as I might, I can't squeeze judgement into compassion. A merciful heart has no room for judging someone else.

When I look at people, what do I see?

I thought about this question a lot yesterday. And I as I ran errands, I looked at people. And I told myself, "See them as Jesus would see them. With eyes of compassion."

Now I need to say that when I look at myself in the mirror too.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home