The Accidental Pharisee

Monday, June 2, 2008

Walking the Broken Road

"Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were just Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms . . ." ~ Bless the Broken Road
Two of my favorite groups sing "Bless the Broken Road": Selah and Rascal Flatts. So, depending on whether you tune your radio to Christian or country, you've probably heard this song.
I realize the song's open to interpretation. Is the singer talking about the arms of a true love or the arms of God?
You tell me.
Depending on my mood, I hear the song either way.
Tonight, as I play "Bless the Broken Road" over and over again, I am thinking of God's arms.
I like to think that my heartaches--the man-made ones and the me-made ones--all pointed me to the God who loved me, who waited with wide-open arms.
I like to think that when I made wrong turns along my life's road, God didn't stomp his foot in frustration. I think He waited for me. With his arms wide open.
I like to think that when I didn't love myself--when I didn't think anyone else loved me--that God still did.
Pharisee that I am, I forget this.
And, you know what?
God still loves me.

Just Thinking Out Loud: We Accidental Pharisees like to think it's all the right things we do that get us to God. But just like everyone else, we walk a broken road. And the ones who broke our hearts can be the Northern stars that point us to God's loving arms.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home