The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's a Choice

I didn't want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ - God's righteousness.
Philippians 3:9 The Message

Seems to me there's two ways to interact with God, two ways to try obtain righteousness:
  • by knowing Christ (Philippians 3:8)
or
  • by practicing the Law (Philippians 3:9)

One way is the right way to obtain righteous. The other way is one of those "seems right unto a man" ways--that actually only results in self-righteousness.


Pretty simple choice there: Pursuing a relationship with Jesus where I come to understand who He is and what He offers me versus Memorizing and practicing a bunch of dos and don'ts.

Thinking out loud: We Accidental Pharisees find the dos and don'ts easier than pursuing a relationship. I've always said--and I was only half-joking--that Law is easier than grace. Just tell me what to do. Grace is this wide open space that feels scary and uncontrollable.
Ah, there's the point of it: I can't control grace. It's not about me and what I can do. It's about God and what He did.

I know these are pretty elementary truths here, but I'm going back and tearing up some shoddy foundations of my faith. Only then can I rebuild it on a firm foundation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home