The Accidental Pharisee

Friday, June 6, 2008

Me, Myself and I

"It should not be hard work just to be yourself." ~Unknown

Wise Guy has lots of sayings posted up around his office. A few photos. Some cartoons, including a Calvin and Hobbes. There's a lot of wisdom in Calvin and Hobbes.
The other day I read this saying again, for probably the hundredth time:
"It should not be hard work just to be yourself."
Oh, yeah?
Says who?
There's a beautiful whisper of freedom in those 10 words.
And yet it's one of the most difficult things I've ever tried to be: myself.
Me got twisted up in mistakes I made. Mistakes other people made at the cost of me.
By the time I got around to asking the question, "Who am I?" I couldn't see the original, untarnished version of me.
I can tell you the Me I want to be.
I can tell you the Me I want you to think I am.
I can tell you the Me I wish I was.
But all of those versions of Me take a lot of effort.
I'd like to try the easier version of Me.
And I think that takes grace.

"It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ . . . he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone." Ephesians 1:11 (Msg)

Just Thinking Out Loud: I hope Wise Guy leaves that saying up for a long time. This Accidental Pharisee needs to be reminded that it shouldn't be such an effort to be myself. Effort = Doing.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • i just made the MOPS connection. =)

    love this post, once again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 6, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

  • Wow Beth I so understand. I just recently realized that I've spent much of my life trying to be the me I thought I MIGHT have been BEFFORE I was torn apart, abused and made poor choices.

    God is continuing to show me that I am who He created me to be. He is growing me to be the daugther He knew I would become. He does and has used the ALL THINGS in my life to create in me the ME He had in mind before the foundations of the earth.

    What an awesome God...what a long and hard journey!

    By Blogger sharon brobst, At June 8, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

  • "God will use all things for good . . ." sometimes it's hard to grasp that truth.
    All things?
    That's his promise to believers.

    By Blogger Beth K. Vogt, At June 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home