The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thankful Thursday #2

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you?" ~William A. Ward

I've been looking forward to Thankful Thursday since last week. It was fun to focus on my reasons to be grateful--and even more fun to peek into the lives of others and see their reasons to be grateful.

Today I am thankful for:
  • the chance to go running with my husband, Rob. Well, to be honest, we go walk/running. I'm a beginner at this and am still working on the whole time/distance/interval challenge. But the best part is that this is something my husband and I are doing together. And at the end of each run, we clasp hands and tell each other, "Good job!"
  • the chance to connect with each one of my 4 siblings and both of my parents this week. I live in Colorado--they all live on the east coast. So it's nice to look back and realize I had the chance to chat with all of them.
  • my health. I shouldn't take it for granted, especially since 2007 was a year of extended illness for me. And I have several close friends/family members who are struggling with health problems. When you feel good, sometimes you just take it for granted.
  • my children. They make me laugh. They make me proud. They teach me about forgiveness and courage and living life to the fullest.
  • grace. I don't "get" grace. It's too wide-open and unconditional for an Accidental Pharisee for me. But I know I need it. I desire it. I really, really don't want life to be all about Law and dos and don'ts. I am thankful that I wake up each morning and God's mercies are new--and I can start again, without the mistakes of yesterday and the day before and the day before that hanging over me.


"We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand--in the wide open spaces of God's grace..." —Romans 5:2 The Message

Thank you, Iris, at Sting My Heart, for hosting Thankful Thursday.

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • Thanks for sharing this lovely thankful post with us. So wonderful that you are able to go running with your husband. I am glad your health is better. It is surely encouraging that God's grace and mercies are new every morning. May you have a blessed day!

    By Blogger Nancie, At June 5, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

  • Wow! I love that last part about grace. I, too, think that His grace is so BIG I just can't fully grasp it. But what a difference it makes, every day. Thanks.

    By Blogger Tanja, At June 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

  • I'm right with you when it comes to grace...I simply don't "get" it! thank you for sharing your thankfulness and for your visit.

    I can't wait to look around your blog!! I'm curious about Accidental Pharisee and the story behind it...I belive I'm going to identify !!!

    By Blogger sharon brobst, At June 5, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

  • Great list sweetie, enjoyed reading it.

    By Blogger Denise, At June 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

  • Wow...what a lovely list! No wonder you were eager to share. This is my first visit to your blog and it's beautiful. Looking forward to coming by again soon.

    Blessings,
    Tracy = )

    By Blogger Tracy, At June 5, 2008 at 6:11 PM  

  • Loved reading your post. God's grace is free and abundant but it can be hard to tap into it sometimes - I know exactly how that feels. May we experience His grace every hour of every day!

    sharon
    http://thereservoir.wordpress.com

    By Blogger Sharon, At June 5, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

  • Wow! Love your site! I get caught up in the laws too and what I'm doing verses remembering it's not about what I can do but what He's already done. :) Neat blog!!!

    By Blogger TheSmellyArmpit, At June 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

  • Hi,

    I think this is my first time to your awesome blog!

    I really enjoyed reading your post tonight.

    I've never read Romans 5:2 in the Message before, oh my!!

    It's so nice to meet you, I'll be back♥

    By Blogger Susan, At June 5, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

  • Hello,

    Wonderful list of TT. Love how The Message portrays Romans 5:2.

    See you next Thursday!

    Cheryl

    By Blogger Addicted to Beadz, At June 6, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

  • Run, Forrest, Run. I mean, Beth.

    :)

    You've taught me a lot about being thankful no matter what over the years. I am thankful you are now joining the bloggers in sharing yours each week.

    I got your back. And love you.

    Grace and peace,
    Tiffany

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At June 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

  • I really enjoyed your list. I have been run/walking with my husband for over a year now - and yes - I still cannot run the whole time :) But it really is a special time - just me and him.

    By Blogger Dana, At June 6, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

  • That quote at the start of the post struck a chord in my heart. Love your list here. Your new activity with your husband sounds fun. It made me smile especially when I read about the holding hands. That's so sweet and precious.

    www.makimeji.com

    By Blogger Unknown, At June 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home