The Accidental Pharisee

Monday, January 14, 2008

Color Blind

The LORD opens the eyes of the blind; The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; The LORD loves the righteous. Psalm 146:8

I realized something this weekend. I see two colors: black and white.

There's very few gray areas in my life. The law--all the dos and don'ts I've allowed in my life--leave no room for gray or any other in-between color.

It is either black or white. It either is or it isn't. It is either truth or a lie.

I'm learning grace provides a whole lot more breathing space. The color spectrum, if you will, is broader.

I experienced the "I'm right, you're wrong" scenario yet again this weekend. I knew what was supposed to happen--and it didn't happen. I did my part. Someone else didn't do her part. So, I'm right. She's wrong.

See how simple that is?

Black and white.

But I'm not living that other person's life--which I'm betting is anything but black and white. I bet there are all sorts of reasons why she didn't follow through with doing the "right" thing. Gray areas I couldn't even see from my perspective.

Thinking Out Loud Here: We Accidental Pharisees love the safety of black and white. We consign life to the familiar borders of right versus wrong, truth versus lie, me versus them. God's grace, embodied in Jesus, shatters color blindness.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home