The Accidental Pharisee

Monday, April 7, 2008

Wouldn't You Know It?

"Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live." ~ Jackie Windspear


I'm in a Bible study with some friends. We've decided to study the topic of grace.
Timely, isn't it?
As an Accidental Pharisee On Her Way to Retirement, I have a lot to say about grace.
Not.
I have a lot to learn about grace.
I noticed one thing tonight as we discussed grace: Whenever you talk about grace, you end up talking about Pharisees. You really can't talk about one without talking about the other. The Pharisees "got" the Law--but they didn't get grace. And that's why Jesus made them so angry. Jesus was all about grace.
Being a good do-er, i.e. tell me what I need to do to be a good Christian--I learned the approved definition of grace: unmerited favor. Knowing the definition and living a life of grace are two very different things. I'm just beginning to learn that.
I discovered a new definition of grace, and I like this one better.
"Love that goes upward is worship; love that goes outward is affection; love that stoops is grace." (Donald Barnhouse, Bible scholar.)
Love that stoops is grace.


Just a Thought: We Accidental Pharisees get so caught up in what we're supposed to do and not do--and making sure somebody is noticing what we're doing or not doing--that we totally miss what God did for us. He offers us grace. The Bible says He lavishes us with grace (Ephesians 1:8). He loves us enought to stoop down and to offer us grace.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Well said. I want to know more about grace.

    You offer grace all the time to me, Beth.

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At April 9, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

  • Beth, OK, now I am going to have to add you to my favorite blogs on my blog.

    I have been learning about grace for the last several years. Though 50 years old, I have spent more years living in religion than in the relationship. Praise God He is setting me free.

    I am glad to know there is another on the journey to know His heart.

    Bless you,
    Julie
    PS. Tiffany is my new blog friend

    By Blogger Julie, At April 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home