The Accidental Pharisee

Friday, January 18, 2008

It Either Is or It Isn't

“… My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.” Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.
2 Corinthians 12: 9 The Message


There needs to be a deliberate change of focus in my life.

I need to begin to appreciate the gift of God's grace and stop focusing on my weaknesses.
Whenever I have an opportunity to write or to speak about a struggle in my life, a.k.a. a weakness, I tend to stare at the weakness.

Just look at that black hole of failure in my life.

That kind of thinking drags me down into the dregs. And then I try to cover up the weakness or I try to pretend there is no weakness. Remember my Wizard of Oz complex: Ignore that woman behind the curtain!

Instead, I need to look for how Christ's strength is moving in on my weakness. I need to believe that his grace is truly enough--and that I don't have to be.

Thinking Out Loud Here: We Accidental Pharisees can get off-focus. We see a weakness--in ourselves or someone else--and think, "Gotta fix that!" And then, even worse, we think we can!! Wouldn't it be amazing to step back, take our hands off the process, and watch how God would move in my life? In someone else's life? Wouldn't it be astounding to see the miraculous happen as God's grace proves to be sufficient for the need?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home