The Accidental Pharisee

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Don't Do It

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Stayed up late.

Actually, I laid awake in my bed until midnight. Then I got up and came downstairs to worry in front of my computer. Active worrying--meaning I did things to make me feel like I had some control over the situation that had me so worried.

Do you ever do that?

I've got a big, wonderful, God-given opportunity coming up. And I'm freaking about it. Can I do this? Will I look like somebody's hand-me-down compared to everybody else? Will I perform well?

Ah, there we have it. Will I perform well? That's the unspoken mantra of many an Accidental Pharisee. How am I doing? How am I doing? How am I doing? Put that another way: Am I good enough?

Let me tell you, this kind of thinking can make you crazy. It can certainly make you lose sleep.

What's an Accidental Pharisee to do?

I wish I could ban that word--DO--from my vocabulary. It has tripped me up for too many years.

Thinking out Loud Here: Remember the Nike campaign: Just Do It? I think we Accidental Pharisees have to Just Not Do It. Okay, that's lousy grammar, but you get the point. We have to stop all the do-ing because that's Law again. We're letting Law trump grace whenever we do things to be in control, to look good-whenever we perform.

2 Comments:

  • You are good enough. BE YOU!

    The one that God uniquely created.

    The one who encourages.

    The one who naturally mentors.

    The one who loves to give gifts.

    The one who loves to read books with her kids.

    The one who loves a good novel.

    The one who loves jelly beans.

    The one God sings and smiles over.

    The one He loves completely--without the doing.

    Just be.

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At January 16, 2008 at 9:28 PM  

  • Jelly beans. Books. Love language=gifts.
    You certainly know me, dont' ya', girlfriend?
    LOL
    :O)
    Thanks for walking this road with me.

    By Blogger Beth K. Vogt, At January 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home