The Accidental Pharisee

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

An Un-Pharisee Moment

My head was buried in my computer, as I am wont to say.
My hands were tapping across the keyboard, usually a mistep of type, type, correct, type, type, correct. I am a lousy typist and have been since my first Journalism 101 class.
Worship music played in the background. I love to work with music playing. This morning it's Chris Tomlin. How Great is Our God came blaring out from my computer speakers--and I had to stop working so I could lift my hands and praise God.
And as I sat in front of my always cluttered desk, hands lifted, head thrown back and eyes closed, I felt God's presence.
And I didn't feel like a Pharisee--Accidental or otherwise.
Oh, that I could stay in that moment.
Buried behind a stack of papers--see how honest I'm being?--is a little sign I confiscated from my daughter's Sunday School papers. It reads: Take off your shoes, for the place where you are standing is Holy ground (Exodus 3:5).
Moses found God in a burning bush.
I find God so often in my office, as I write.
I write because He made me to write. When I am writing or editing or even banging my head on the keyboard wondering why, oh why the words won't come, I am being who God created me to be.


Just Thinking Out Loud: We Accidental Pharisees can find our way to freedom and grace if we praise God more. Talk about ourselves less. Praise God more. If we're not sure how to do it, let someone who knows how lead the way. Turn on some praise and worship music. Sing some hymns.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like we both are wooed into his presence through song. That's how I felt at the conference as I scribbled the words I heard the Lord saying to me. I love those moments. I live for those moments.

    I'm so glad the Lord invaded your work station. Yeah, God!

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At February 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home