The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Determined

Faith isn't faith until it's all your're holding on to

I doubted God--and it ruined my relationship with him for 7 years.
That was then, this is now.
I find myself in another set of circumstances, facing the same choice: trust or doubt.
I am determined to trust God.
When the voice of the enemy whispers, "What if ...," I am going to stick my fingers in my ears and hum a favorite praise and worship song really loudly.
When the past rushes up and tries to drag me to my knees by reminding me of how things haven't always gone the way I hoped, I am going to grab on to something solid--a treasured verse or favorite quote--and not let go.

Thinking Out Loud Here: We Accidental Pharisees can lose focus. We take our eyes off the right thing--God--and pay too much attention to circumstances. Yes, I live in the here and now--and some days it hurts trying to draw a breath. But here and now is not all there is to my life. And I am not in control of here and now--God is. I need to be watching him closely--and what he is doing when it seems like my world is spinning off its axis. Even when I can't see him, God is here--and he knows what he is doing.

3 Comments:

  • Hmm...good point. I find myself acting the most like a Pharisee when I'm trying to control something that is beyond my power to do so...I seem to think that maybe I can find a loophole. And then I lose focus, as you said, and tend to spazz out and overanalyze the situation.

    I often think that if I can have it all figured out and mapped out in my head, then I can predict how things will turn out (and my predictions aren't always positive, especially if I'm letting my fears take the lead). How futile.

    Here's the tough part for me--figuring out when I just need to chill and let things run their course (i.e., trust in God's timing and know I've done all I can do) or when there actually is something within my power to do and "step up," so to speak, rather than being passive and not taking responsibility for my part. That's what trips me up most often. Do you ever feel that way?

    I pray about that kind of stuff by asking God to guide me (and then I just have to trust that I will be guided). It's still hard for me, though. Basically, I think too much. ;-)

    By Blogger elizabeth, At February 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

  • Amen! I'm holding onto TRUTH too.

    Linking arms with you, my friend. In the good times and the bad. We are not alone.

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At February 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

  • Sometimes I think the overthinking is a form of control too.
    Think. Think. Think.
    Give me a minute and I'll figure this out.
    And yes, I struggle with how much do I do--and when do I wait. As an AP (Accidental Pharisee) it is my nature to DO--and so, sometimes I need to to stop and wait. More often then not, I should wait more and do less.

    By Blogger Beth K. Vogt, At February 13, 2008 at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home