The Accidental Pharisee

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Unanswered Questions

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 55:9 (NAS)



I don't understand what you're doing God.

But that doesn't mean I don't trust you.

I stood in my kitchen as I said those words, out loud. It was an odd sort of prayer--but a prayer nonetheless.

I've learned the hard way that trusting God doesn't require understanding God. Trusting God doesn't mean all my questions are answered--or if they are answered, that I get the answers I wanted.

I've watched my friends' life spiral out of control in a horrible way these past two weeks. I've seen bad become worse and worse become heartwrenching.

It makes no sense.

In another season in my life when I let doubt rule and reign, I would have allowed all of this to convince me that God is not trustworthy. I am determined to never walk that dark road ever again.


Yes, none of what is happening to my friends make sense. It is tragedy in the truest sense of the word. And yet, it doesn't mean that God isn't trustworthy. It just means I cannot see life as he sees it--the beginning and the end all together. All I can see is the pain of this moment--and the next and the next.


Thinking Out Loud: We Accidental Pharisees like our questions answered. We like to tell God how to answer our questions because we think we have God figured out oh, so well. After all, we've read the Bible. We've probably even stood in front of others and taught the Bible. Unanswered questions are uncomfortable, scary--and we aren't sure God is big enough to handle unanswered questions. We know we aren't.

1 Comments:

  • Unanswered questions are uncomfortable, scary--and we aren't sure God is big enough to handle unanswered questions. We know we aren't.

    So true! It's that fear of the unknown...

    By Blogger elizabeth, At February 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home