The Accidental Pharisee

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Sound of Silence

"For in him we live and move and have our being." Acts 17:28


It's been quiet on this blog as of late.
That's because things have been quiet between me and God. Not non-existent. Just quiet. Nothing profound being said or heard.
Is a relationship with God all about things being profound?
I don't think so.
And yet, sometimes I act that way.
God and I have had some moments of intense closeness as I've leaned on him these past weeks. I had a speaking engagement looming and I oh-so-needed him to be sufficient for me. Yes, I wanted to do well--but more than anything, I wanted to feel him working in me and through me and in spite of me.
And as I rushed around, doing all I needed to do to get ready, I kept thinking: This will utterly fail if it is all about what I've done--and not about what God is doing through me.
My quiet times were highly irregular.
My time in the Word was haphazard at best.
And yet, I found myself leaning, leaning, leaning into God, knowing I needed him to be all he is. I struggled because it didn't feel like picture-perfect Christianity. And this blog lay dormant because I had nothing profound to share.
But I was doing life with God.
And that's real.

Just a Thought: Is it all about the profound for Accidental Pharisees? Is the every day life of a believer too normal for us? There's a lie there that needs to be dispelled: An authentic life of a believer isn't all profound, Kodak-moments with God. Some of it is normal, normal, normal. Resting in the every day life of following God. Not always looking for a burning bush or a Jericho wall that needs to be demolished ... but rather enjoying intimacy with God in all moments of my life.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home