The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thankful Thursday #4


The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.
— Flora Whittemore

Thanks to Iris at Sting My Heart for hosting Thankful Thursdays!

I couldn't wait for Thankful Thursday this week! I knew what I was going to be thankful for days ago!
My husband and I, along with our caboose kiddo, went camping last weekend with another family. Our friends, Mary and Doug, also have a late-in-life child. But, where I am a repeater--i.e. I have 3 much older children and then my surprise blessing--Mary was a first-time mom at 46.
But that's another blog post.
The camping trip gave me so many reasons to be thankful. Things like:
  • falling asleep to the sound of a rushing mountain stream a few yards from our pop-up camper.

  • the sticky sweetness of melt-in-my mouth marshmellows toasted just right: lightly brown on the outside and soft and warm on the inside.

  • the joyous sound of my daughter's laughter as she caught her first fish--a 14 inch rainbow trout.

  • the comfortable friendship with Doug and Mary. No stress. No tension. Just friends camping together and enjoying each others' company. They didn't even laugh when I tried to cool the container of orange juice in the river--and the current pulled it downstream.

  • venturing into Crested Butte for lunch and regular bathrooms. I'm not a big fan of port-a-potties, which is all there was at our campsite--even if they were enclosed, lighted and had posters of birds and flowers on the walls. Oh, look! Wallpaper!

  • looking up at the sky at night and seeing hundreds of stars. Hundreds.

  • absolutely perfect weather. Blue skies. Puffy white clouds. Warm weather that wasn't too warm. And cool mountain nights that made me snuggle up with my husband in our joint sleeping bag.

  • the fun two kids can have looking for rocks and bugs and ant hills and flowers and whatever else caught their fancy.

  • a husband who is willing to do all the driving and let me doze in the passenger seat.

  • the beauty of Monarch Pass (going) and Cottonwood Pass (returning home).

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • Hmm same for me hubby always the one who drives not me because i don't know how to drive yet and i am scared. Thanks for sharing your TT.

    Mine is here

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

  • Such wonderful blessings God gave your family sweetie.

    By Blogger Denise, At June 26, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

  • What a precious list of things to be thankful for. Sounds like a great trip! God bless your thankful heart.

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, At June 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

  • Oh, Wow... what a great trip. So much to be thankful for... God is so very good, isn't He?

    Happy Thankful Thursday!

    By Blogger Melanie, At June 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

  • Beth,

    Great list. I love Creste Butte. Haven't been there in the summer, but I bet its great.

    How fun to see your daughter catch her first fish. I have great memories of fishing with my Mom and Dad just a few years before my Dad passed.

    Blessings!
    Cheryl

    By Blogger Addicted to Beadz, At June 26, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

  • Hi! I am so happy yall had such a wonderful camping trip!
    Isn't it something how the "little" blessings, are incredible blessings?
    Like:... hubbies who like to drive,
    sweet marshmallows, and real bathrooms?! haa LOVE THAT ONE! ~
    But your stars... whenever I go look uP... at the stars.... that great big sky just lifts me uP so high... and God reveals Himself SO MUCH!
    Think you just inspired me to go have a little thankyou to God tonight and gaze at the heavens with my sweetheart tonight. winkwink
    Have a beautiful day!
    Lea
    <*)))><

    By Blogger Leaon Mary, At June 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

  • Such sweet memories! I'm glad you had a nice time! God bless you.

    By Blogger bp, At June 26, 2008 at 5:50 PM  

  • What a wonderful weekend! We love to camp in God's creation too! So many things he shows us when we're camping!

    By Blogger A Stone Gatherer, At June 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM  

  • We haven't been camping yet this year...but this list makes me anxious to go!! What a wonderful list!

    By Blogger sharon brobst, At June 26, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

  • Ohhhh...what a wonderful camping trip you had with your family. So happy for you for this bonding moments.

    www.makimeji.com

    By Blogger Unknown, At June 26, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

  • Mmm...you paint such a wonderful picture! If I close my eyes, I can almost imagine me there.

    Really enjoyed reading your post, your optimism came across.

    God bless,
    sharon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 27, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

  • Sounds like you all had a super time on your camping trip. Believe it or not, but I have never been camping since I an adult :)
    Sounds great thought to see all the stars and have a beautiful surrounding to just relax and enjoy company with your friends.

    Thank you so much sharing your grateful heart with us.
    Be blessed today and always...

    By Blogger eph2810, At June 28, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home