The Accidental Pharisee

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Need a Hero

For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son ... Colossians 1:13 (NAS)

I confess: I read romance novels.
I've discussed my romance reading habit with my two writing buddies, Tiffany and Scoti. Tried to explain why I like stories with a hero and a heroine and--most important of all--a happy ending.
when I pick up a romance novel, I know I am guaranteed a happily-ever-after.
Oh, sure, there will be trials and travails and misunderstandings along the way. Why don't Mr. Right and Miss Perfect for Him communicate?!
But, in the end, love wins out and wins all.
Ah--happy endings.
Why do I long for happy endings?
Because I didn't get them in my life.
Don't get me wrong here, friends.
I am married to a wonderful man who has loved me in a sacrificial, unconditional way.
But, we've had our portion of trials and travails.
And, as I've shared in this blog before, my heart has been broken by abuse and things that were anything but happy.
I guess you could say reading a romance is an escape.
And that's not such a bad thing, so long as the escape doesn't become the way of life.
Maybe my longing for a hero is why Colossians 1:13 is my favorite verse in the Bible.


For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son

Take a moment and read that verse out loud.
Doesn't it sound like something out of a romance--a daring rescue, darkness being replaced with light, love conquering all . . .

Just Thinking Out Loud: As I continue to accept my-story, I need to embrace all of it--the good, the bad, the ugly--and how God stepped in and brought the light. Yes, I need a hero. In God, I found a Redeemer. A God who reconciled me to him. A God who was bigger than all the unhappy moments in my life. My longing for romance just might be a God-created longing for him.
Fascinating, isn't it?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home