The Accidental Pharisee

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thankful Thursday # 12





In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” ~ Psalm 4:8 (ESV ~ )




Psalm 4:8 has been one of my all-time most-treasured Bible verses for years and years and years.

I struggled with fear for most of my life. Only in the past 10 years have I walked in freedom from fear that kept me in bondage. I hated being by myself. I had nightmares. I hated the dark. I couldn't sleep at nights.

And wouldn't you know it? I married a doctor. Rob was gone a lot. That meant I was alone at night a lot.

I was afraid.

I was also a mom of little kiddos--and I didn't want them to grow up learning to be afraid. So, I acted like I wasn't afraid in front of them as I tucked them in bed at night.

And then it was me and a quiet house and my fear.

So I memorized Psalm 4:8.

There were countless nights I lay awake in my bed reciting "In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety . . ."

Over and over again.

I prayed it by faith.

I didn't feel safe. At times, the fear felt like it was smothering me.

But I chose to believe what God said in his word: I could crawl into my bed and lay down and be safe because God was watching over me.

Sometimes I pretended that God lived in the attic over my house--of course, I had to pretend there was attic too--and that he was just upstairs in his room while I was just downstairs in mine. Silly, I know. But, I felt better. And I never heard God laugh at me for that bit of foolishness.

There are a lot of things I could be thankful today. But I'm going to focus on this one thing: I am thankful for the steady anchor of God's word. I am thankful that God meets us at our greatest need and is sufficient for that need. And I am thankful that today I walk free of fear.


Thanks to Iris at Sting My Heart for hosting another Internet opportunity to be grateful!




Labels:

16 Comments:

  • Praise God for taking your fear away my friend.

    By Blogger Denise, At August 20, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

  • beautiful, beth. i can relate with that too. i'm also fearful of some things but i have to remind myself that God is in control. God bless you more, beth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM  

  • Glad to hear you are taking comfort in knowing that God is watching over you. Remain blessed!

    By Blogger i, At August 21, 2008 at 1:45 AM  

  • Isn't God great to take away our fears when we trust and rely on Him? I'm so thankful you have seen this in your life!

    Blessings to you today!

    By Blogger Melanie, At August 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

  • What a wonderful post. I'm so glad the Lord has embraced you. I pray His peace continue to consume you. Happy TT!

    By Blogger Jenileigh, At August 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

  • What a beautiful sharing of your heart. May God bless you as you hang on to His anchor (from the attic above!) I love it!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, At August 21, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

  • Thank you for sharing your story from your heart. I find comfort in that verse as well.

    By Blogger bp, At August 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM  

  • Thank you so much for sharing this. That's been a real problem for me, too. Your post helped me.

    ~Susan

    By Blogger A happy heart at home, At August 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

  • Blessings Beth...Yep that's Mexico but I'm sure you have beautiful sunrises and sunsets in Colorado!

    Thank you for sharing your fears and your freedom and the verse that saved you...or at least gave you assurance!

    I should have been more fearful and proclaimed by not going forward for prayers for fears at a Women's Aglow, that I had no fears...well, shortly there after my world began to fall apart and I had enough fears that I had panic attacks that
    did like your fear...this was such a blessing!

    So fearless Pharisee, you had no fear of parasailing??? God bless you and thanks so much!((hugs))

    By Blogger Peggy, At August 21, 2008 at 1:23 PM  

  • Blessings to you!
    Thanks for sharing your heart!

    By Blogger Unknown, At August 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

  • Hello My Accidental Pharisee,
    Love your thoughts ... but then I always do!
    I'm glad you're NOT a fradycat no more! ;) Times when I've gotten like that when I was alone, I close my eyes, and picture THE CROSS.
    Everything else just melts awayyyYYy

    Have a wonderful night!
    Lea
    ps, did you sign my guestbook? The picture was kind of far away and I couldn't tell if it is you or not?
    If you did, thankyou,... if you didn't... it's still good. heehee

    By Blogger Leaon Mary, At August 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

  • Oh Beth how well I know the importance of taking God at His word and just having faith in what He says - even if I don't feel it.

    One thing I have learned well is faith is about believing NOT feeling.

    By Blogger sharon brobst, At August 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

  • what a sweet post, thank you for sharing about your fears and how you memorized that scripture.

    By Blogger gail, At August 21, 2008 at 7:08 PM  

  • Thank God for delivering you from fear and giving you peace! It is encouraging that you memorized Psalm 4:8, pray over it and chose to believe in God's Truths irrespective of your situation. May God continue to shower His peace upon you! Thanks for sharing your heart with us. Take care and may God bless you always!

    By Blogger Nancie, At August 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

  • RYC: The only Susan May Warren book I've read is "Happily Ever After." Did you read that one?

    ~Susan

    By Blogger A happy heart at home, At August 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

  • Beth,

    Thank you for sharing this with us. Fear--I'd suffered from panic attacks for many years; fear of the unknown--until I was afraid to even go to the grocery store. Very difficult while raising 3 small children.

    I thank God that He brought someone into my life that directed me back to Him so that I may live my life knowing that He is in control and that I have nothing to fear.

    Again, thank you for sharing this beautiful post!

    Beth

    By Blogger sailorcross, At August 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home