The Accidental Pharisee

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thankful Thursday # 9


With thanks to Iris at Sting My Heart for an opportunity to stop focusing on all the things I have to do--and instead consider all the reasons I have to be thankful!
Iris is talking about relationships this week over at her blog, so of course, I started thinking of all the relationships I've had in my life, both good and bad. And then I realized I have a lot to be thankful for because God has taught me all I ever needed to know about what makes a relationship good.
This week, I am thankful that God taught me that a good relationship is based on:
  • LOVE: Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:2
  • FORGIVENESS: Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. Micah 7:18
  • MERCY: ... he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit ... Titus 3:5
  • STEADFASTNESS: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end ... Lamentations 3:22
  • SACRIFICE: For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

God forgives me when I don't get the relationship thing right--when I am unloving or unforgiving.

I am so thankful God isn't a 50-50 relationship kind of God--you know, where He waits for me to throw in my 50 percent of the effort before He does his part.

God gives more than 100 percent to have a reconciled relationship with me. If I keep my eyes on Him, I can learn alot about how to be in right relationship with others.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • Such wisdom Beth...bless you and thank you for sharing what you have learned to have relationships
    be good! These are 5 things to be thankful for each day in our walk!
    Thank you for these Scripture reminders! I'm thankful also for
    the more than 100% God gives to me in reconciling my relationship with Him and others! May God bless each relationship you treasure!

    Come over to my blog on Friday for a special day! (or this weekend if it's better)! Enjoy and God bless!

    By Blogger Peggy, At July 30, 2008 at 10:38 PM  

  • I really enjoyed your thankful list, beautiful scriptures.

    By Blogger Denise, At July 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM  

  • Hi Beth,

    These thoughts about relationship are wonderful. Thank you for sharing these words with me.

    Have a great TT. See you next week. Hugs.

    By Blogger Unknown, At July 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

  • Lovely thankful post. Thanks for sharing these Scriptures. Such reminders of what relationships should be. Thanks for sharing with us. Take care and God bless!

    By Blogger Nancie, At July 31, 2008 at 3:49 AM  

  • 100% God and He won't accept less from me. Wasn't that what Jesus meant by spewing lukewarm out of His mouth?

    100% is the only way to go with any relationship. Anything less is frustrating.

    Great article.

    By Blogger Kay Martin, At July 31, 2008 at 6:04 AM  

  • I really liked this Beth - you've touched on all the attributes of a good relationship. I'm so thankful for HIM.

    By Blogger Heather , At July 31, 2008 at 7:09 AM  

  • Hey Beth,

    I'll echo Heather's comments, this was just great...

    Yes, I'm also thankful that he gives that 100%, all the time!!

    Praise God for his love, his kindness and mercies each day.

    Blessings♥

    By Blogger Susan, At July 31, 2008 at 7:45 AM  

  • So true Beth! He gives his all to us!

    By Blogger A Stone Gatherer, At July 31, 2008 at 8:08 AM  

  • A fantastic post! Thank you! I especially love the 5 points a relationship is based on and I will remember to be that in all my relationships - thanks for the reminder & happy TT!

    By Blogger Alex, At July 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

  • Loved this, and still grateful you've jumped into the Thankful Thursday loop.

    :)

    By Blogger Tea with Tiffany, At August 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

  • Hi Beth,
    I'm late making my rounds.
    My favorite word in your list is: STEADFASTNESS. Never ending Mercies. Thank God for that huh!
    Lea

    By Blogger Leaon Mary, At August 15, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home