The Accidental Pharisee

Sunday, August 17, 2008

What's the word?

" . . .Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation." 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

I know a lot of people who have a favorite verse in the Bible.
I do too--it's Colossians 1:13. You can read the why of that on this post.

I also have a favorite word in the Bible.

RECONCILIATION

That is a wonder-filled word.
14 letters.
6 syllables.
And a whole lot of God's power jam-packed into that word: reconciliation.
It's a miracle, really.
In the margin of my Bible right next to 2 Corinthians 5: 18-19, I wrote the meaning of the word reconciliation: Enemies becoming friends.
Now, wait. Don't rush that.
Enemies--like Hatfield and McCoy, Capulet and Montague--you fill in the blank--those kind of "I hate you" relationships that can't be bridged.
And God's love is so much bigger than all that we can think or imagine. Even though he hates our sin, he loves us and he forgives us. He reconciles us to him. He makes his enemy--that would be me--into his friend.
And that is amazing.

Just Thinking Out Loud: I've been a believer for a long time now. Sometimes I'm a "me-of-little faith" believer. I think my mansion in heaven may be somewhere on the same street as the apostle Peter's mansion. But that's another blog.
Anyways, as the years of my faith walk go by, sometimes I forget. I forget how amazing my relationship with God is. I forget that I was once God's enemy and that his love--his sacrifice--made me his friend. I forget the beautiful magnitude of the truth that I have been reconciled with God.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Beth, I have so enjoyed the photos of your vacations. I also appreciate your words reconciliation. Praise God He wants to be reconciled with us.

    By Blogger J-ME, At August 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home