The Accidental Pharisee

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just Thinking Out Loud

Spent some time with Wise Guy today. It seems I either laugh or cry when I hang out with him. Pardon me while I indulge in a reminiscence.

The first time I met Wise Guy, I told him I wasn't going to waste my time--or his--crying. It was inappropriate, I said, like kissing on a first date. That was during the time in my life when I didn't cry for 18 months.

I've been known to say, "What's the use in crying? It doesn't do any good."

And Wise Guy always challenges me when I say that.

Oh really?


And then he sits there and looks at me. And I wonder, "Do I really mean what I just said--that crying doesn't do any good? Or do I mean something else?"

So this Accidental Pharisee is going to muse on tears for a bit ... just ponder the need for tears, the purpose of tears, the solace of tears ...

Starting with others' thoughts on tears:

"Tears are words the heart can't express" ~Unknown

"Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see Life with a clearer view again." Alex Tan

"Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it." Albert Smith

"A teardrop on earth summons the King of heaven." Charles R. Swindoll

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Beautiful post.

    Sue

    By Blogger Praise and Coffee, At September 17, 2008 at 5:09 AM  

  • That is so beautiful and heartfelt my sweet friend Beth!
    I tear over everything... tear when I'm happy, laughing, and sad. It just happens. I'm happy and laughing way more than sad. I feel stuff, and I'm thankful that I do.
    My Mil once told me something about crying... and being emotional and I didn't agree. It doesn't make us weak in anyway. It holds purpose.
    Jesus WEPT.
    HolyKisses my friend,
    Love Lea

    By Blogger Leaon Mary, At September 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

  • Hey Beth,
    I was thinking about your beautiful post and wanted to share a couple quotes.. not sure who wrote them tho.. I want to say Washington Irving?

    “The tears fall, they're so easy to wipe off onto my sleeve, but how do I erase the stain from my heart?”

    and: "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.”

    I love these!
    Your posts always delight me... and make me THINK! HEEHEE
    BE BLESSED TODAY,
    YOU ARE SUCH AN INCREDIBLE BLESSING TO ME!
    Love
    Lea
    ps. Is that your picture on my guestbook in Colorado??? I can't tell for sure!

    By Blogger Leaon Mary, At September 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

  • Ohhh Beth...praying for WISE counsel and appropriate tears...for I know your heart is weary from holding it all in...a dry spell of 18 months!
    I'm glad you had a breakthrough but balance would be nice...trust me!

    I cry all the time...way too emotional. I also have struggled this past month with weariness, fatigue for no reason...

    I love all your quotes!!!

    May the words of your heart be expressed!

    May your eyes be washed and give you clearer vision.

    May the pressure on your heart find the release on the safety valve while you are surrounded by the love of your Heavenly Father & your husband!!!

    May the King of Heaven be summoned!

    May Our Lord be your Comforter and Counselor! May Jesus be the joy which strengthens you daily.

    Praying for breakthrough and release, encouragement & strength!

    By Blogger Peggy, At September 18, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home