The Accidental Pharisee

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Waking Up, Getting Up, and Choosing Gratitude

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."~ Thornton Wilder

Mornings have been tough of late.
To be honest, most days I want to pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep.
Rather than seizing the day, I want to ignore it.
But that's not really an option, not when there's a raring to go 7-year-old waiting for me!
This morning was more of the same.
Waking up and thinking, "I'd rather stay asleep."
And then the thought flitted through my brain: You know that grace you talk about, Beth? That grace that is sufficient for your need? It's sufficient for the needs of today too. The little ones and the big ones.
I have been talking about God's grace lately at several women's conferences. I'll be talking about it again next Monday night.
And I do believe God's grace is sufficient for me.
I just forgot about it for a minute. I let my weakness overshadow God's grace.

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
(2 Corinthians 12:9 NAS)

The truth is, this has been a tough season for me, a season of skimming low emotionally. Wise Guy would say, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
Well, I'm not arguing with him.
But right now I have to finish what I've started and then I can rest.
Until then, I will set my heart on the treasure of God's grace--trusting that God's power will be perfected in my weakness.

My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.
(2 Corinthians 12:9 MSG)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home