The Accidental Pharisee

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Staying in the Moment

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
~2 Corinthians 12:9a

Imagine being a woman who bled for 12 years.
You spend all you have on doctors. No relief.
In Jesus' day, if you were this woman, you had no life.
According to the Law, you were unclean.
If you were married, that meant you couldn't be intimate with your husband.
You couldn't go to the Temple and worship.
You couldn't even go to the well and draw water with the other women. No freedom to meet with your friends and chat, talk about your day, your struggles, your hopes ...
You're a prisoner to 12 years of bleeding.
One day, you've had enough. You're desperate for something more.
Freedom.
Healing.
Something other than the life you've been living.
And so you dare to leave your house and go out into the crowds.
You're looking for someone--the man named Jesus. You've heard he can heal people.
Maybe, just maybe he can heal you.
You aren't brave enough to face Jesus and ask him to heal you.
But you dare to come up behind him while he's in a crowd and reach out and touch the hem of his cloak ... and you are healed. Immediately.
Yes, there's more to that story. But I don't want to talk about the rest of the story yet. I want to stay in the moment--the moment where the woman gathered her weakness in her hands and took it to Jesus.
Here. I can't do anything with this. I can't fix it. I can't live with this any more. Can you--would you, please, help me?

Just Thinking Out Loud: Sometimes that's all anyone can do. Stay in the moment of your weakness and admit: I can't fix this. I can't live with this anymore. Can you, would you, please, help me, God?
God promises that his power his perfected in our weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9).
I need to remind my Accidental Pharisee-self that my weakness isn't about what I can't do. It's about what God can do.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home